- 6 medium sized potatoes
- ¾ cups of high heat cooking oil
- 4 medium sized eggs
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ large onion
- Flaky salt
- Sour cream or Yogurt
- Several bowls
- Large cloth towel
- Frying pan
- Metal spatula
- Peel the Potatoes.
- Grate the potatoes and onion into a medium sized bowl.
- Wrap the grated potatoes inside a large cloth towel and squeeze all the juice out.
- Let the potato juice sit for 6 minutes.
- Pour out the juice but leave the film of starch on the bottom.
- Add 4 medium sized eggs to the bowl with the starch and mix them together.
- Combine egg mixture with grated potatoes and onions.
- Mix in 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Form the latkes into patties by pressing them between your palms.
- Add ¾ cup coconut or cold-pressed grapeseed oil to a pan on high heat.
- Wait about 3 minutes till the oil is about 350 degrees.
- Place as many latkes as will fit in the pan (3-4).
- Turn the heat down to medium high.
- Fry the latkes for 4 minutes.
- Flip the latkes.
- Fry for another 4 minutes.
- once golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Skip this step if you like them dripping with oil!
- a pinch of flaky salt to taste
- a dollop of applesauce
- a dollop of sour cream
- a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey