A mild soupy stew with a slightly sweet, buttery flavor. You can swap in and out all kinds of veggies, so this is a fun one to experiment with. If you have fresh garden herbs available, use them; otherwise use dried herbs. We used both.
- 5 whole chicken legs with or without skin
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. We like Texas Hill Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flavored balsamic vinegar. We used strawberry, from Texas Hill Olive Oil Co. Pomegranate or peach would also be delicious.
- 3 tablespoons pastured organic butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- himalayan salt and pepper to taste
- Instapot 6 quart
- Press sauté on Instapot. Add olive oil.
- Season chicken with herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Stir-fry separately in a saucepan where chicken pieces have the space to sit side by side. This browns them and locks in the juices. Can also use the Instapot for this if you don’t mind working in batches. Once browned, set aside on a plate.
- Add butter, onions, and garlic to Instapot. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and chicken broth, and all chopped vegetables.
- Lock the lid, turn to sealing. Select manual pressure cook button, set timer to 7 minutes.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes, use quick release and remove lid.
Alternative: stove top
- Place chicken in skillet with olive oil and sear until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Melt butter, stir in garlic and onions. Add balsamic vinegar and 1/2 the chicken stock.
- Toss in chopped veggies and add salt and pepper. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add chicken back in, sprinkled with herbs., add remaining broth.
- Cook another 2 minutes.