For those who are adventurous enough to try making their own deodorant, here are the essential ingredients. It will probably require some trial and error to achieve the perfect consistency and scent for your liking.
- mason jar or silicone molds
- wooden utensils for stirring
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tbsp beeswax
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp bentonite clay
- 6 drops essential oil. Experiment with them. Mix and match.
- suggestions for men: sandalwood, clary, sage
- suggestions for women: rose, lavender, grapefruit
- Heat up the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a double boiler and stir until liquid.
- Add clay, powder, and essential oils. Mix.
- Pour into a silicone mold, a small air-tight container, or an empty deodorant stick dispenser.
- Let concoction cool to room temperature. If using a silicone mold, remove bar and store in a sandwich bag.
- When applying to armpit, pull out a small ball of it, let it soften on your finger, then spread till it dissolves.